Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Who Are My Eaters?

Today is overcast and drizzly. I don't really have time to sit and write--but it just feels like that's what I need to be doing (I'm a writer at heart, after all). You know how overcast days can feel so productive, right? The student to your left is a RISD eater. I caught this snap during our Showcase Chef event at the beginning of the month. I am not sure what her name is or what her major is. I posted the picture though to discuss the fact that most of my eaters (save you loyal blog readers and those dozen or so friendly students whom I know by name) are rather mysterious beings to me. I see you in the Dining Hall each day... but I don't know who you are. I don't know if you liked mushrooms as a kid...or even like them now. I don't know if you're really into the food your ladeling onto your plate OR if you're just refueling so you can head back to the studio. It's a funny feeling to cook for such a mysterious (albiet quite hungry) mass. Its what makes instutiional dining different from any restaurant I've worked at or when I cook for friends and family.
I want to know the people I see on the street. What are you food loves and hates. I may not remember them all or you may come back hear after graduating and you may see me and say "Hey Chef Pierre!" and I might respond "Hey, asked me to make eggs over easy one slow winter morning because they just had a rough crit and it reminded them of home." The little pieces that I see of you are through what you eat and what we might say to each other in passing. From little details like these, I piece together stories of who my eaters might be.

No comments: